Thursday, April 14, 2011

Random Thoughts Thursday

At 2:51 this morning, my mother sent me a text message saying that my older cousin over-dosed on heroin. He's ok, but he will most likely be going to prison when he is released from the hospital. He was kept overnight for observation, so he should be released some time today.

Daniel has been struggling with a heroin addiction for the past few years. He's lost jobs, lost friends and girlfriends, and now, he almost lost his life. It's so painful to see someone I care about so deeply choosing this path. It sounds like such a pathetic excuse, but I really don't know how to help him. He has walls put up to protect himself from anyone that tries to get too close. "I'm doing fine," he says, with his eyelids drooping. He's so thin. He rarely smiles anymore. I miss him.

I spent most of my childhood playing in the dirt, building forts, and fishing with Daniel and his younger brother, Justin. I remember him being so loving and protective of me. We enjoyed spending time together. And now...his addiction has so morphed his entire being that he is barely recognizable anymore. It breaks my heart to see him this way.

I love him beyond words. I don't want to see him imprisoned, but maybe this consequence is what will save him from himself. Only God knows...

I try not to worry about him because I know that God is in control. I've prayed for Daniel, and that's all I can do. Pacing the floor over what is going to happen to him will do no good. I believe that Jesus has been with Daniel every step of his life, and I believe that he has an amazing purpose for him as well. Daniel has survived so much... I don't believe in coincidences. God's hand of protection has been over Daniel, even last night and this morning.

I know that this is pretty heavy for my first post, but this is what is on my heart right now. If you happened upon this story and don't mind sparing a few minutes of your time, please pray for his family. His mother and father have all but gone bankrupt trying to help their son overcome this. He has a little boy, Kaden, who lives with his ex and her new fiance. Please pray that his family will rest in the peace that God provides for us all.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...